Saturday, July 17, 2010
5:24 PM

POLL RESULTS: Best 2010 Linux Distro Release

[In a Radio host voice]

Three weeks...
430 voters...
One "Champion" Distro...

...And the award goes to... PCLinuxOS 2010!!!!!
(Hey, what's not to love about a bit of staging and drama? ;-) )

PCLinuxOS 2010 obtained the most votes, almost twice as much as the next distro, Linux Mint 9. I have to say I am not all sure that first position is truly representative, though. PCLinuxOS was way behind Linux Mint and Ubuntu most of the time only to quickly overtake them in the last few days...

Hmm... Do I smell some PCLinuxOS fans around? :-)

Here are the final results:

Distro Release Votes (%)
PCLinuxOS 2010.1 137 (31%)
Linux Mint 9 78 (18%)
Ubuntu 10.04 (and brethren) 63 (14%)
OpenSUSE 11.3 47 (10%)
Fedora 13 20 (4%)
Arch Linux 2010.05 19 (4%)
Pardus 2009.2 18 (4%)
Other 16 (3%)
Mandriva 2010.1 13 (3%)
Slackware 13.1 13 (3%)
Sabayon 5.3 4 (0%)
CentOS 5.5 2 (0%)

And the same results in a neat little graph:



I was pleased to see that most voters seem to agree with me on the quality of the 2010 releases for the most part. PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint are both in the lead, while the Ubuntu family is comfortably sitting in a well deserved third position. If you have read my review you probably know I was a bit disappointed with Ubuntu 10.04 myself, but I guess it was more about it failing to deliver according to the expectations it had raised, rather than because it was a bad release per se.

OpenSUSE 11.3 gets an impressive fourth position, a significant achievement considering it was released very late. Fedora 13 gets little support for a distro of its popularity and relevance, but I can't say I am surprised, as I wasn't particularly impressed with Goddard myself. Arch Linux does pretty well in sixth position, slightly ahead of Pardus. Particularly surprising is the low support for Mandriva, a popular distro which has had quite an important follow up. My guess is that the late changes in the company have had an impact, the most obvious being a very late release, which might have prevented people from having a taste of it.

As usual, thanks to all who voted and a big CONGRATULATIONS goes to the PCLinuxOS team for their amazing work! (Actually, congratulations to everybody behind these and all Linux distros, it is a small "miracle" what they achieve year after year!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment