Thursday, November 3, 2011
6:01 PM

Next Ubuntu sounds good

No, I am not a fan of how "precise pangolin" rings, it´s just that I am hearing things about the next LTS Ubuntu release that I find interesting and promising.

On the one hand, I like the fact that Ubuntu 12.04 development will focus on stability and polish. The following are a couple excerpts from Mark Shuttleworth´s own POST on the upcoming Ubuntu release:

"so this cycle is an opportunity to put perfection front and center."

"While there are some remaining areas we’d like to tweak the user experience, they will probably be put on hold so we can focus on polish, performance and predictability."

At last the words I wanted to hear... I still don´t like Unity and don´t think I will even after they improve it, but I am glad they decided to stop, think and get it to at least work as it was meant to when they designed it. In addition, further improvements in different elements that made their debut in 11.10 are expected, such as better integration of LightDM. I think Canonical also decided to extend LTS release support to 5 years now, so things are aligning towards a very promising release.

Last but definitely not least, we have seen some previews of what could become Ubuntu´s very own new icon theme. I personally think they look amazing and if they end up finally becoming the default theme in 12.04, Ubuntu looks will take a huge step forward! (See the previews from Yellowicon own site HERE).

0 comments:

Post a Comment