Monday, September 6, 2010
1:11 PM

POLL RESULTS: Your favorite Ubuntu so far?

Hot off the oven, here are the poll results! This time around, I was trying to find out if there are specific Ubuntu releases that have done a particularly outstanding job or if there is steady evolution and improvement. The results clearly point to the latter.

It seems (as I expected) that Ubuntu 8.04 was indeed a very good release. I had often read in forums that many people had stuck with it for years, and I thought there had to be more about it than just the fact it was a long term support release. I believe that 2008 was also a turning point for Ubuntu, perhaps a year when adoption rates were particularly high, which would also explain why so many people consider this specific release so good (there is a saying in my country, "that who hits first, hits twice"). Here is the votes count.

VersionReleased onCodenameVotes
Ubuntu 10.04April 2010Lucid Lynx128
Ubuntu 9.10October 2009Karmic Koala36
Ubuntu 9.04April 2009Jaunty Jackalope16
Ubuntu 8.10October 2008Intrepid Ibex14
Ubuntu 8.04April 2008Hardy Heron18
Previous ReleasesOctober 2004-2007Several8

Ubuntu 8.04 aside, though, it is clear Ubuntu shows continuous user acceptance growth with each of the last releases. In fact, the last release, Ubuntu 10.04, gets more votes than all other releases combined.


Click on image to enlarge

This is good news and I believe it proves that all the negative comments each release gets when it comes out are mostly related to isolated personal issues. That doesn't necessarily mean that each release is better in every aspect than its predecessor, but I think there is an underlying evolution that is undeniable.

As I pointed out on my recent PREVIEW, Ubuntu 10.10 aims high, and I believe it's well positioned to be the best Ubuntu release to date. Let the evolution continue!

Thanks for reading. Special thanks to those who voted in this poll.

0 comments:

Post a Comment