Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Does Net Mean Inter? Or Not?

Fedora is a nice part of Linux OS family. I have already tried Fedora 13.
But, as I noted there, while I was doing my experiments and writing a blog post, new version of Fedora was released. It is now time to try new release - Fedora 14.
Fedora comes with different type of Windows managers: KDE, XFCE, LXDE. But my choice for Fedora 14 was the same as for Fedora 13, was GNOME.
So, download image. Burn it to CD. Reboot computer. Choose boot from CD. Let's go!



What can I say here?
  • From the very start, Fedora does not ask you many questions about your computer and location, as some other systems do. The only question during the CD boot was confirmation of user ID. Default one is suitable for Live run. But nevertheless, CD boot is always slower than USB of HDD one. Fedora took me 3 minutes and 44 seconds for full load, including network connection.
  • Connecting to network in Fedora 14 is as easy as 1-2-3. The same as for Fedora 13. WiFi card was found and activated automatically. My home WiFi network was automatically found and appeared in the drop-down menu when I clicked the network icon on taskbar. I only had to enter my security code. And here I am.
  • But... What's up? Firefox shows that it cannot connect to any web server. At the same time, local resources (router and external network drive) can be easily pinged. I even managed to connect network drive share as Windows share in GNOME. But nothing goes out! "PING GOOGLE.COM" returns "unknown host" message. I tested my Internet connection from Ubuntu - everything works without any issue. So, the problem is somewhere in Fedora 14. I did not investigate the issue in depth, so you can do it yourself if you decide to go for Fedora 14.
  • Configuring of Russian keyboard in Fedora 14 was also an easy task. As it is always in GNOME. No issues at all, few clicks and here I am.
Giorgie
Image by Johny Ashburn


  • Another point that surprised me again was... absence of Office software. Same as in Fedora 13. Maybe that's a strategy? Hm...

Any differences between Fedora 13 and Fedora 14? To be honest, I have not noticed much from my nodding acquittance. Maybe they are very well hidden.
I liked Fedora 13 when I tried it. I ran into some trouble with Fedora 14 now. But anyway my opinion about this OS is still very high. It is still candidate No1 if I ever wanted to replace Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Puppy Linux with something else on my hard disk.

Useful links:
http://fedoraproject.org/ - official site
http://forums.fedoraforum.org - forum of Fedora users
http://www.home-computer-help.co.uk/ - useful forum about anything concerning home computers... hardware, network, software...

0 comments:

Post a Comment