Thursday, September 3, 2009
2:38 PM

Puppy Ubuntu and Gentoofying Ubuntu

You might be wondering wth (what the hell) am I talking about.

For those of you who don't know, Puppy Linux is a very good OS indeed for older computers. It is light weight, each release stays at about 100 mb. It can load it's entire self into ram (random access memory), and the user interface is very attractive and intuitive.



Puppy Ubuntu

Now what it needs is some Debian roots with apt-get. I can take a regular ubuntu, strip it down of unneeded and replace it with lighter weight software, maybe software that isnt as bloated with features, but I'd rather start from the scratch up, so an Ubuntu Server edition and then a vanilla kernel compile, .... ok enough said. Now you should know what Puppy Linux is good for, older hardware.



Gentoofied Ubuntu

I could take my recompiling of deb packages even further and automate everything as far as installing all software compiled just like gentoo, but using ubuntu and apt-get. ok there is a command I've once used, a If you have multiple cores, compiling is for you. Put those babies to work. If you are still reading this, you are interested in what I have to say and the information I provide, much appreciated. But I must get feedback especially with the gentoo/ubuntu idea because this will take a lot of work, but can be done. Puppy Ubuntu won't be so time consuming and has better benefits.

Gentoo will make you go from beginner to moderate Linux user pretty fast. When I the gentoo handbook, it was 92 pages. Everything is installed via the command line. Don't use the GUI installer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment