Thursday, January 21, 2010
10:32 PM

Geany Text Editor PDF Manual

I recently read an article about GEANY, a great light yet powerful text editor that goes beyond what text editors do. It is perfect for programming and has a number of advanced features that make it very special. It is also great for just writing, specially if you don't like one of those heavy office suite editors. The following are some of the main features that make Geany special:

- Syntax highlighting
- Code folding
- Symbol name auto-completion
- Construct completion/snippets
- Auto-closing of XML and HTML tags
- Call tips
- Many supported filetypes including C, Java, PHP, HTML, Python, Perl, Pascal, etc.
- Symbol lists
- Code navigation
- Build system to compile and execute your code
- Simple project management
- Plugin interface

You can find some screenshots HERE.

Anyways, I liked it and wanted to find out how to get the best out of it. I found some great documentation in HTML format HERE, but if you are like me, you hate html manuals and html documentation in general...

So I decided I'd put it together into PDF format Doing it was very simple, but tedious. Basically, I saved the html manual locally, opened it with openoffice.org Writer and did all the formatting. Then exported it to PDF with its GREAT PDF export feature (leaps and bounds better than anything I have seen in Windows!!).

You can download the resulting manual HERE.

Hope you find this manual useful so you can learn and get the most out of Geany (I am trying!!!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment