Tuesday, October 19, 2010
9:53 PM

KDE versus GNOME

Open source software is intended, among many other things, as a means to not restrict freedom. Freedom to change, tweak, use, copy and distribute at will. This freedom is a great concept in my opinion, but it naturally brings an unexpected side effect with it: WAR!! (...Alright, alright, that's way too dramatic, must have been watching Fox News way too much lately.)

Jokes aside, there are lots of battles inside the community. Which packaging system is best, which Linux distro is faster, which audio player, video player, boot process, splash screen... You name a category and there surely will be arguments about which solution is best.

One of the most popular (and passionate) "battles" out there is the one about which desktop manager is best for Linux, which often naturally gravitates to the two most popular options, KDE and GNOME. I have been using both for a while, so I want to put together an article comparing both in detail as they stand today, KDE SC 4.5.2 versus GNOME 2.32.0.

Before I do that, though, I'd like to get a feel for what YOU think, so I created a new poll. Please vote from the applet at the top right of this page.

NOTE: I know there are many other window managers out there and some may feel I should have added more options to the poll. Once again, this is just to get a feel for what people think of KDE and GNOME today.

Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment