Wednesday, May 18, 2011
8:07 PM

Meet MiniTunes

In my endless journey to find the best possible media player, I recently stumbled across MINITUNES, one of Flavio Tordini's creatures, a talented Italian developer who is bringing some very cool applications to both Mac and Linux.


Click on image to Enlarge

After launching the application for the first time, I was asked for the location of my music library. The import process started and finished (a fair amount of time later, I have to say, mostly due to the artist search in Last.fm) successfully despite the considerable size of my music collection. I mention this because several other players (Amarok, Songbird and pre-v2.x Banshee, for example) have failed or crashed on that first import in the past.


Click on image to Enlarge

The interface is light, uncomplicated and beautiful. Unfortunately for me, Last.fm didn't fetch all artists pictures and album covers, which resulted in several "blank" spots here and there, but the looks are impressive nonetheless. I wish it was possible to add pictures and covers manually, a great feature available in other players that I dearly miss here.


Click on image to Enlarge

Another great thing about MiniTunes is that it is extremely easy to use, partially thanks to a limited set of available features, but also to an intuitive interface. On top of that, probably the most valuable feature for me, the application performs well and feels quick and snappy. This is particularly evident during startup, way quicker than other heavier players, such as Amarok or Banshee.

If I could ask for more features, though, aside from the already mentioned ability to manually modify artist and album covers, I guess I would like to see a better sound menu integration. Moreover, it would be great if it was possible to close MiniTunes and keep it running in the background.



Fortunately, MiniTunes is in very early stages of development and will hopefully gain momentum as more and more people get to know it. I bet it will get better and better, even if it is a great audio player already!

0 comments:

Post a Comment