Wednesday, May 5, 2010
11:01 PM

PCLinuxOS 2010.1 KDE - Update Review

The guys at Fedora plan to release their RC compilation for the new Fedora 13 tomorrow, May 6th. I have been waiting (im)patiently to get my hands on the almost finished product and get a taste of the goods. While I was waiting, much to my surprise, I have seen the PCLinuxOS team has released a bug fix/enhancement version of their much acclaimed PCLinuxOS 2010 KDE.

The list of new features and fixes is once again impressive and can be read in full from their official ANNOUNCEMENT. Here are the highlights:

- Linux kernel updated to 2.6.32.12-bfs
- KDE SC Desktop upgraded to version 4.4.3 (AMAZING, the announcement has not even been published on KDE.ORG yet!!!
- Improved support for several Wifi and Video cards, as well as Webcams.
- General application update including security enhancements and bug fixes.


My current PCLinuxOS2010.1 desktop sporting KDE 4.4.3!!

Because I had PCLinux2010 already installed, I did not download the new ISO image. As instructed on the official announcement, I updated from Synaptic instead. This process proved fairly simple and safe, but I must admit I was a bit lost at first. Here's how I did it:


The options highlighted should clarify how to apply the 2010.1 update

1.- Open Synaptic package manager (Main menu > Software Center) and enter your admin credentials as usual.

2.- On your lower left, you should see four buttons. Click the "Custom" one as highlighted on the image above (Note I am using the Spanish translation, but the location of the button should be identical).

3.- From the options listed right above the buttons, click on the "Upgradable (newer version)" one, then click on the refresh/update button.

4.- After a few seconds, the main applet should show a list of all packages available for update.

5.- Select all records, right click and select the upgrade option.

6.- Click on the apply button and wait until the process is complete.

7.- Reboot your machine.

You should get all upgrades without a problem, it worked flawlessly for me, and I am enjoying my new KDE 4.4.3 desktop!!!


Awesome KDE 4.4.3 SC at your fingertips thanks to PCLinuxOS 2010.1

For those command line inclined, simply run the following command as root:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

What can I say? I was blown away with PCLinuxOS 2010 and getting this bugfix release with such incredible updates is just the icing on the cake. It is great to see such dedication and commitment from the PCLinuxOS developers!!

Those of you who did install PCLinuxOS 2010 KDE, go ahead and update, totally recommended!. If you have not, what are you waiting for? Download your ISO image from HERE.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment