Wednesday, June 16, 2010
4:18 PM

Removing history from Places - Saved Documents

This is very simple. It works by preventing the history from being able to be stored (writable).

$ rm -f ~/.recently-used.xbel
$ mkdir ~/.recently-used.xbel
$ chmod 000 ~/.recently-used.xbel

I was suspicious about this program called BleachBit. To me it sounded like some yucky windows software that had made its way over to Linux. My suspicion was wrong. I will give you some warnings about using it.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Go to the downloads page, scroll down and get the bonus pack to go with it as well.

This will clean house with all those messy dot files in your home folder among other things, and to my surprise, the first time I ran it, it removed a little over 1 gb of useless junk. Before deleting, look at a preview of what it will do to make sure that when you run it, it's not deleting something you had told it not to.

Do we really need language support for every language in all our programs? You can tell it which languages you will use and then it will go delete local files for all other languages that were not the ones you choose, for me, I kept Arabic, Spanish, and English, and the rest is not wasting space anymore

Here's a list of some things you may want to be sure are not checked.
  • Bash History
  • Saved Firefox Passwords (good to have a master password if you save them)
  • Nexuiz Cache, not sure if this will delete my custom maps I had downloaded so left unchecked
  • Pidgin Chat Logs (if you don't want these saved, then you should have them disabled in Pidgin)
  • Trash, I usually overview it before I empty it
  • System Logs, god no 
It's all user preference though. If you don't have certain programs that it lists, it doesn't hurt to check them. Now that I've warned you, go use it. I have not had any problems, but if you do, I don't take responsibility. Go get mad at the developers :) or thank them for a nice program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment