Sunday, April 24, 2011
1:10 PM

Blackhats Re-Vamped the Linux Desktop

Click below to see the img in full view. I recently gave Gnome3 a test run, and couldn't decide if I liked it or not. There are certainly things I both like and dislike about it, so I will check back on it when another major revision is done. It made me think of a mix between KDE and Ubuntu's Unity, so in case I was not happy with their final product, I had to find an escape. I played around with awesome tiling manager, xmonad (I didn't want to learn Haskell just to write a config file for it...but it's very good), and enlightenment v17 aka e17. I seddled with XFCE, not because it's the most light weight (it isn't really), but because I have a sexy Linux desktop that keeps me informed, and it's written with GTK+ (so it plays nicer with gtk apps).


In the image below, you can see I am using WeeChat+Tor helping one of the regular visitors to our IRC channel. He's also been very helpful, a good Linux using community is here. You can find me here, but I may not always be at my computer.



Now notice that the icon for wifi (wicd-gtk) wasn't displaying at it's best. Since I have themed my XFCE4 to look like KDE and wanted BIG icons, I took some icons from KDE's Oxygen theme and replaced all the ones wicd-gtk was using with it. See below for the difference. So if you'd like to use it them, I have tar'd them up and linked below. Just overwrite all existing icons in /usr/share/piximaps/wicd (path on most systems) with the ones provided.

http://tcnoe.net/files/wicd-oxygen-theme.tar.bz2

Since our channel, ##blackhats on FreeNope, is having a Bot Coding competition, I included this image =) We have many participating from low range of skills to a higher range of skills. If you're interested in participating, just join the channel, introduce yourself and let us know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment