Sunday, April 10, 2011

Do I Have Bad Karma for Debian?

Do I have bad karma to run Debian? I have 6 posts about Debian so far, and only one of them relates to full success, where I was able to run a full-power Debian on my laptop. Maybe I myself and Debian are just creatures of different worlds and we cannot live together?
Let me try one more time.
This time my attention will be taken by Aptosid. This is Debian-based distributive, slightly adjusted by team of developers. It is based on Debain Sid, which is classified as unstable sandbox. How unstable it is actually? Let's see.
Aptosid offers several options of its distributive: KDE-full, KDE-lite and XFCE. My choice this time was for KDE-lite version, which fits to USB stick. Latest release of Aptosid is dated February 2011 and has code 2011.01.
So... iso is downloaded and "burnt" to USB stick using the Unetbootin tool.
Reboot. Choose to boot from USB. Let's go!



First try of Aptosid was... unsuccessful. Simply because Live device could not be found. You can see results of this boot on the screenshot - taken in Qemu, but exactly the same as in cold run. Maybe that's because Aptosid is not working with Unetbootin?
Let's try the way which always works with iso images: burn it to CD.
So, CD-RW is burnt. Reboot. Let's try again!

This time I managed to boot Aptosid. First welcome screen is quite usual for different Linux systems. It allows you to choose different parameters, like say screen resolution of language. I selecter Enlish (UK) there.
There were no additional screens where I had to interact with the system before Aptosid was finally booted into KDE environment. This is nice, because some distributives simply annoy you even before you see it working.
As I said before, I selected English (UK) language at boot screen. This brings GB keyboard layout and even indicator showing it. Very nice and useful feature!
Adding Russian keyboard layout is easy, as it is usual in KDE. And it is even easier when indicator is already on the panel. You do not need to go to Configuration panel. Just click on indicator and select "Configure". The small issue is that sections with the list of available layouts is very narrow, it could definitely be wider.
Generally speaking, KDE interface in Aptosid is very similar to KDE 3 which you can find, for example, in SLAX. But it is actually KDE 4.4. Why did developers revert back to previous version-looking default theme? I don't know. But I liked this "comeback", because I like KDE 3.

Right after boot, I was presented with window with Release Notes. They also contain list of firmware supported by Aptosid. That is very handy, because you do not need to search for this list, or do hit-and-miss guessing. List itself is quite impressive actually. My Broadcom 4311 WiFi card is listed there. Unfortunately, in order to enable firmware you have to 1) connect to Internet and 2) change the sources lists. Even if I can do 1st by connecting laptop to LAN cable, I cannot do second. Edited files could be saved.
That means I was not able to connect my laptop running Aptosid to Internet. What's the point to take it to LAN cable if it does not help with WiFi card activation?
Absence of WiFi meant I did not try network drive mounting and music playback. My gut feeling is that default Aptosid does not have codecs for MP3 files, they are to be installed separately from non-free repositories. But, again, this is only my guess.

What is included into Aptosid KDE-lite version? I would say "basics". You could expect this from the "lite" name, but I hoped for more, because I previouse saw similar-sized distributives better packed.

  • There is no office package included. Though, there is KWrite to make notes. KWrite is the only text editor, at least in graphical world. Even Kate is not included into Aptosid KDE-Lite.
  • Graphical applications are only represented by viewers. I did not find any editor there.
  • Kaffeine is the only media player. Plus K3B for burning.
  • Konqueror is default browser, alternative is Elinks (text browser).
  • Lots of tools included. Aptosid has separate tools for installing to HDD and USB, for kernel removal. I would say these tools are handy. Of course, there is a way to remove old kernels via Synaptics in other Debian-based applications, but separate utility would be helpful anyway. Separating USB and HDD installation tools, developers protected us as potential users from accidental installation to HDD when only USB-stick is required. By the way, USB install utility allows create persistent USB stick! That could be useful. Unfortunately, I could not to create any USB stick, neither persistent nor normal. Utility  did not work and failed to "user abort" error after requesting root password. Maybe that's a Live distro issue? Maybe that's my karma again?

As you can see, Aptosid has required minimum in every aspect to start using it, but then you have to add functionality per your taste. I'd say this is good position. You don't have default applications which you do not need, and also you have some basics to start working. This is different to, say, Knoppix which is over-packed with different tools, and to Bodhi Linux, which comes naked. On negative side of this, as I mentioned before, distributive could either be lighter in download size, or still better packed with applications.

From my perspective, Aptosid is well-balanced Debian based distributive, which can fit to most purposes. Even though it is based on unstable Sid, I have not noticed any unstability there. Does it mean that even unstable Debian is solidly stable? Or that was my karma failed this time? Or I just spent not enough time working with it?

Coming back to my karma, I still believe that I am not best guest in the world of Debian. This is the seventh time I was trying something Debian-based, and again I was not able to do what I usually do: connect to my network, check music playback, browse Internet a little. Yes, I was very close this time, but "close" does not mean task is complete.

If you want to try Aptosid yourself, why not order a disk with it from Buy Linux CDs page?

0 comments:

Post a Comment