Thursday, August 9, 2012
5:17 AM

Why install Apache, PHP and MySQL in Puppy LINUX?

I have recently written a series of posts detailing how to get Apache, PHP and MySQL working under Puppy LINUX.

Now using my guides you would not want to use the setups as a production web server. You would need to put in a fair bit more effort to make sure it was secure.

So why bother installing Apache, PHP and MySQL in Puppy LINUX?

As part of the guides I mentioned that it could be used as a development environment for when you are on the move.

There are however LINUX distributions out there that make it possible to install the whole LAMP stack with the minimum of fuss.

I use Bodhi LINUX on my Acer Aspire One D255 netbook and this is the perfect match for running Apache, PHP and MySQL for development purposes. Along with the web server and PHP I have also installed Geany as an IDE which is great for PHP development and I have installed Codeigniter and Blueprint CSS.

Knowing how good Bodhi LINUX is for this scenario why bother trying to get Puppy LINUX to run as a development web server?

The fact is Puppy LINUX can run off a USB drive so you can use it on any PC anywhere. This is basically a portable web server in your pocket. You can use it to try ideas out when you haven't got your own laptop or netbook with you.

I think another good use would be as a marketing tool. A lot of companies now give away USB drives in the same way they used to give away pens. Imagine as a company you created pen drives pre-installed with a customised Lucid Puppy which runs Apache, PHP and MySQL and you have an internal web application that runs that showcases your web development abilities.

Summary

Undoubtedly the strength of Puppy LINUX is the small size of the distribution and the fact that it can genuinely run in full from the smallest of media. This makes Puppy LINUX incredibly versatile.

So would I use Puppy LINUX as a web development environment whilst on the move? Well, I will be keeping the USB drive I have created on my keyring. I do however like the Bodhi setup I have on my netbook and to be honest I prefer developing on there more than on my main laptop.

As a marketing tool I think it could be a neat idea. For graduates looking to get their first jobs in IT why not apply for jobs by installing Apache, PHP and MySQL on Puppy LINUX and then generate an interactive CV using HTML, CSS, JQuery, PHP, MySQL and AJAX. That is a CV that could really impress potential employers.

Thanks for reading

Links to guides 

0 comments:

Post a Comment