Sunday, August 21, 2011
3:28 AM

Users voted for best KDE-based Linux distribution

Holy wars... So many efforts were wasted in there... People try to convince others what is better and why...
Linux world is not alone here. So many battles happened in discussions what is the best distribution. I expected another episode of the battle when published post "What is your best favourite KDE distro?". That post quickly became branch of PCLinuxOS forum: so many PCLOS users took part in commenting.
But that's human nature: we are so lazy to write sometimes... To give users of other distributions equal right and not to bother them too much, I opened voting on this blog, where users were not required to write anything unless they wanted to. Instead, there was drop-down menu with list of different KDE-based distributions.
Voting was opened 9 days ago and planned to be closed on 20th of August. It is now time to announce results. I must admit, results are not exactly what I expected. But they reflect true situation on the KDE "market", I can't object.


Kubuntu17
OpenSuSE17
Debian9
Other7
Chakra6
Pardus6
Fedora5
PC Linux OS5
Slackware5
Aptosid3
CTK Arch2
Mageia2
Mint KDE2
Gentoo1
Mandriva1


You can see that both Kubuntu and OpenSuSE won competition with equal results, and these results have significant breakaway from rest distributions.

Once we can see the results, let me quote some comments left by users who took part in voting.
Ubuntu with Gnome/Unity (voted for Other)
Sorry, but since what time GNOME/Unity became KDE distribution?
debian cu kde?:D lol (voted for OpenSuSE)
What is funny in this combination? KDE is one of officially supported DEs for Debian.
I like debian for it's stability. Isn't CTKarch based on openbox? (voted for Debian)
You're right, CTK Arch is based on Openbox. I don't understand why I put CTK Arch into the list of KDE distros. But it still got some points. ;-)
To me is slackware, I really like its simplicity. Mint KDE is also a good one, they are somehow opposite.
Choose Slackware if you want simplicity, and Mint if you want support for almost everything out of the box, but a more bloated OS in you PC (voted for Slackware)
You're right. Mint team puts everything to make system suitable for everyone. Sometimes even too much.
+ Polished, Easy, Out of the box, Innovative, ORIGINAL, Humble Community
- Small community, Small repository, Need more international/English support (voted for Pardus)
So much true!



Voting form is still open, but I will not constantly review results. If I find anything interesting there, I will let you, my readers, know. Please stay connected!
UPDATE: new results were published!
If you decided to give any distribution a try yourself, you can always use Buy Linux CDs site to obtain CD with it. Many distributions listed in the voting are available on that site directly. Others can be ordered via special comments/order form.

0 comments:

Post a Comment